2.24.2009

A must see.


I'm sure you know that "Slumdog Millionaire" won the Oscar for best picture the other evening. I am far from being the world's biggest movie buff, but with all of the hype surrounding this movie, I had to see it. I was hoping that it wasn't one of those movies that gets so much hype and then turns out to be a ginormous disappointment. (See: "There's Something About Mary" as example.) So I went to see it on Saturday before the Oscars so that when it won, I could understand why. And then I could speak intelligently on its merits and worthiness of the award.

And thus my following statement is one that is educated and informed and one that you can take to heart - this movie is fantastic.

The premise: A boy from the slums of India gets on the Indian version of "Who Wants to be a Millionaire". Then there's some stuff that happens and you learn some stuff about that stuff and in the end you leave thinking that you can't believe people paid $10 to see "Paul Blart: Mall Cop" when they could have seen THIS! As an added bonus, there is a lovely Indian dance number at the end while the credits are rolling. Stay for that. I cannot get the song out of my head. Thank goodness too because it has replaced "Single Ladies" which has been there for 3 weeks now.

Although a lot of times the Oscars are self-congratulating and unnecessary, a movie like this truly does deserve to be recognized. It was originally developed to go straight to dvd alongside Jessica Simpson's "Private Valentine". Now, I have not seen Private Valentine, but something tells me these two movies are polar opposites on the 'good' scale.

I recommend you do yourself a favor and go to the next matinee showing of Slumdog Millionaire as soon as you can. In these difficult economic times, the matinee is the only way to go. I paid $5.25. (But then dropped an additional $8.50 on a pop and pretzel bites. D'oh!)

And if it sounds like I have built it up too much, I can assure you I have not.

6 comments:

B. said...

There's Something About Mary is awesome

Lori said...

I really want to see this movie.

That's it. I'm hiring a babysitter, filling out the loan application for concessions, and joining the masses in singing the praises of this film.

Mickey D. said...

t.w.i.t. - It's great. But I should tell you that there are some disturbing parts in the movie.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. The good parts I mean, not the disturbing parts.

Wrestling Kitties said...

My parents saw this and also loved it! We will have to check it out!!

Sarah said...

I actually caught the tail end of an ad about this last night. I wonder if I would have noticed had we not just been talking about it. Definitely looks like one I'd enjoy. But, will I see it? You know me...probably not.

Mickey D. said...

Sarah, if you would like to go see it, I would be more than happy to go again. This is the perfect movie to see in the theater after your 4-year hiatus from them.

Seriously, let me know.