5.08.2009

Help us plan our vacation.

It's a milestone year for my good 'old Dad. He'll be 60 this year and really wants to take a family trip. Since MD and I had such a good time in Vegas last year, we thought that would be a good choice. My Mom agreed. But apparently my Dad was thinking bigger. He wants to go to Budapest, Hungary. His Mom is Hungarian and he thought it would be cool to go back to his roots.

Ok, great! When do we leave!? I mean, how cool does this building look? We're in!


Not so fast.
Once he discovered there was a possibility of a 12-hour layover, he quickly dismissed that idea. My dad is not a very patient man. He's nice, but impatient. And a 12-hour layover simply will not work. In fact, he may find himself vacationing alone if the rest of us must endure that time with him.

So now he's thinking England. And in his words, "Not London, more like where the Beatles are from. " I'm thinking that means Liverpool. Which is cool, too. I guess.

Budapest just seems more exotic. And we would be incredibly lucky to get to go there. It's definitely not a place you go very often. There aren't too many flyers for Budapest in the airports.

So, what do we think? Do we go to Budapest and risk breaking up with my Dad? Do we go to the place where the Beatles are from? Or do we go to the place where you can see Paris, New York, the pyramids of Egypt, the volcanos of Hawaii and the pirate ships of Somalia all on one big street... otherwise known as Vegas?

8 comments:

Ky • twopretzels.com said...

Cabo.

:)

Ok, if that doesn't fly - what about Prague? I've heard it's AMAZING. C. and I would like to go there.

Malissa said...

i'm really curious as to how there has to be a 12-hour layover? you would know better than I and I say you MUST avoid the 12-hour layover at ALL costs since you want to still keep your dad around and all.
my thoughts are fly into London - you can get totally reasonable flights to London and then go to Budapest from there. RyanAir and all sorts of european carriers can get you to Budapest for RIDICULOUSLY LOW PRICES (i've used EasyJet from Berlin to Rome and thought it was totally fine).
i say all of this because Hungary would be AWESOME! so would practically anywhere in Europe, but it would be a trip of a lifetime to experience.

Malissa said...

p.s. - I just did a quick look on EasyJet for a flight for a random week in September and I found prices between 30 and 60 euros (each way, per person from London to Budapest). let me know if you have any specific questions about EasyJet (i've flown it before) or RyanAir (friends have flown that one).

Mickey D. said...

TL - You rock! I will definitely pass this on to my Dad. I really do think this is where he wants to go, but when he looked up flights online, he saw the 12-hour delay, it scared him. Good to know that there are options.

AND, we were totally planning to go in September!

Thank you, thank you!

Wrestling Kitties said...

Seriously, I think TL just planned this all out for you!! Great idea and the best of everything!

And seriously, I would have never thought of Budapest, but how beautiful does that look?!?! Your dad is so cool for thinking of that. And I laughed at going to the Beatles England, too funny!

Malissa said...

oh! i forgot to tell you earlier that my family is hungarian and i would give my left pinky to go "back to my roots". maybe that is why i got so gung-ho! no matter where you go, it'll be fun.

Hilary said...

I totally vote for the Budapest with a layover in London trip - frickin amazing. Do it while you can - and your parents are paying!!!

Iris Took said...

I am with TL. Fly into London and then take a trip from there.

Let us know what you decide! Either way - FUN!!!!!!