5.21.2009

I guess I need to get one of those creepy spinning baby graphics for the side of my blog.

[Alternate title: Oh, so this is what boobs look like...]

It's true, MD and I are going to be parents!

Finding out you are pregnant is incredibly exciting. (I know, news flash.) We found out right before we took our road trip to Charlotte in April. (Tuesday, April 14, 2009, 9:38 p.m. to be exact.) So I had 11 hours to focus on our news while trying not to blurt it out to our friends who we were traveling with. Which, ultimately, we ended up telling them that weekend anyway. There was no way I could have pulled off not drinking for a whole weekend. We were there for a wedding, it's what we do!

I took a pregnancy test after being extremely tired and late. But I had been feeling crampy so I was sure that I wasn't. (Little did I know, they were uterus-growing cramps.) I waited the designated amount of time and like the previous months, I announced from the bathroom that time was up. I glanced at it. Then I STARED at it. Two lines!?

That particular test didn't have a key on it, so I took the test and the paper downstairs to Mike, not uttering a sound. I handed both to him. We squealed (ok, I squealed) and hugged and said "Oh my God!" a few hundred times. Then I quickly drank a few glasses of water and took another one. Positive. Then I took two more a week later. Juuust to make sure. Positive and positive. No doubt about any of them.

Being a Nervous Nelly, I have been hesitant to tell people too early. But it's been a lot of fun. Seeing people's raw genuine reactions is great. I love surprises. To say that my parents were excited is the understatement of the new millenium. And my totally great sister-in-law hopped around the house. Not too many people hop anymore.

One thing (aside from the obvious miracle and growing chest) that has really pleased me about becoming pregnant is the fact that I've discovered that I don't drink because I have to, I drink because I just like it. I truly enjoy a nice glass of wine and a cold beer. And I miss them both. It's a small price to pay though. They'll be there after I have the baby. (Like, in the waiting room I hope.)

I was one of the lucky ones. I haven't had any bouts of morning, afternoon or evening sickness. Although certain foods have not sounded remotely appealing - like whole wheat crackers. There was no way I could have swallowed the one that I chewed. No way. It tasted like pure evil. And sometimes, even my lifelong friend CHEESE doesn't always sound good. Which is upsetting. I hope that it, too, will be there for me after I have the baby. However, I can't get enough apples. Bring on the Fujis! (And the potato chips and french onion dip! I'm embarrassed to share how much of those I've eaten so far.) And suddenly I'm drinking orange juice again after, oh, I don't know... 18 years? It's so random how this works. But I'm loving it.

Truth: There was a time in my life where I wasn't sure if I wanted to have kids. I've always liked them, I just wasn't comfortable around them. I wasn't around kids all that much growing up. My family is relatively small and everyone is close to my age, so I didn't have people 10-15 years older than me who had kids. But I'd say over the last 5 years or so I really started to grow fond of children. My cousins started having them and I saw how much they enjoyed them and I oohed and ahhed over them and held them and became a Godparent to one of them.

And then I met my husband.

And I saw how close he is with his siblings. He takes every other year-ly trips with his two older brothers and his sister thinks the world of him. That solidified it. I thought, "Let's do this. I want that in my life." I want to have children who are great friends and I want to build that family environment with Christmas traditions and vacations and birthday parties and hugs just because. I want to hold my kid's little hand and read them funny stories and laugh about silly things they say or do. I want to have that experience with my husband of being at the hospital looking at each other and realizing that our whole lives are about to change forever. I WANT THAT. And, I want my parents to be grandparents. It wouldn't be fair to the world if they weren't.

Not to mention how great my husband is with our nieces and nephews. I have NO DOUBT that he will be an awesome father. Loving and protective all at the same time. And he's great at impressions so he will definitely know how to make them laugh :) Why wouldn't I want to have a baby with him?

I would definitely like more than one, if we are so blessed. I've been an only child - it's ok, it has its perks, but personally I can't help but think I'm missing out on something more. I don't want that for my kids.

So, I'm 11 weeks today. I've had an ultrasound and been to various doctor's appointments and it looks like little MD3 is due December 20. What a wonderful Christmas present we will have this year!

20 comments:

Lori said...

Congratulations! I am so thrilled for you! You will have so much fun being parents. Now we can BOTH bring our kids to political rallies! ;-)

Ky • twopretzels.com said...

Smiling, smiling, smiling! (You know I've been DYING TO READ THIS POST.)

I've said it before, and I shall continue to say it again: YAY! YAY! YAY!

I'm so happy for you two and am so excited to meet MD3.

You two are going to be phenomenal parents.

Oh, oh, oh, HUG!

MD said...

There are few things I have looked forward to more than hearing the heartbeat. And hearing it again today. That will never get old.

As exciting as this is, it is more exciting because it is with you. You're the friend, wife, and now mom, that I always hoped for and ever-so patiently (or not) waited for. This is going to be fun my love.

Unknown said...

Congrats!!! This is just great!

Jamie said...

Congratulations! and you're not alone, I am also freaked out by the creepy spinning baby widgets, even though I have one on my page...

Wendy said...

YAY! Congrats! That's awesome!

Unknown said...

CONGRATULATIONS!

My mouth dropped open like a dope.

Traci said...

YAY! YAY! YAY! Congrats!!! So happy for you!

the orange juice 'craving' is funny to me...i was the same way w/ both pregnancies. i HAD to have orange juice. all the time!

congrats again!!!!!

www.thecrazydaisies.wordpress.com said...

Yay!!!!! Congratulations. Let the fun begin.

I'll say it again and again.... of all the times in life you surely could use a drink..... its a cruel joke really. :)

Lurker Girl said...

Oh how WONDERFULL!!! Congratulations on MD3--I hope you are blessed with an easy pregnancy.

Enjoy every minute of being pregnant, because once they come out, it's a whole new game.

Yes, you now have to get one of those spinny baby things for your blog--I'll miss seeing it when Two Pretzels pops here in a month.

Congrats again!!
Amy

Wrestling Kitties said...

YAY!! I was SO excited to see this post, I loved reading it ;)

I am SO happy for the two of you and I know you will be amazing parents! I also know you two will most likely have one of the funniest and wittiest kids EVER.

Again, CONGRATS to you both.

HUG!!

Tiny said...

Congratulations again Michelle and Mike!!! This is so exciting!!!

You will be AMAZING parents!!!!

Mickey D. said...

Thank you ALL!

t.w.i.t - Ha! Deal. See you in four years!

Kylee - You are too great. Hug right back atcha. Hope this post lived up to the hype.

MD - Tear. You are very sweet. We've got one lucky kid in here. Love you!

Craig - Welcome! Loved seeing you comment.

the Grumbles - Welcome to you too! Comment often. At least as often as I post, which isn't often at all :)

Kay - Thank you! (I had a RANDOM dream and you were involved, which is very odd because I have never met you. But you got a job with Amber and me at our place of business?? I blame pregnancy dreams.)

Athena Bee, you dope! :) - I like to catch people off guard. Surprises are fun.

TLC - Thanks! You got any orange juice you can bring me?

Quiet Oasis - Please have a drink for me. I could go for a super cold Corona with lime. Thanks!

Lurker Girl (Amy) - Thank you for the easy pregnancy wishes. I hope things are genetic - my Mom said she had the easiest time, never sick at all. Not even a cold. So far I've been lucky.

WK - You're the best. We're going to try our hardest to make this kid be funny. I'm hoping the baby's first words are "knock, knock..."

Tiny - Thanks so much! You should start blogging again. I think you've got some material now :)

MD and I are pretty darned excited! December seems so far away.

And we will be finding out the sex.

THANKS everybody!

Malissa said...

YAAAAYYYY!!! i cannot wait until MD3 enters the world. you guys will be super, i just know it.
YAYYAYYAYYAY!

Sarah said...

So this is what I get for not getting on the computer in a few days! I missed one of the greatest posts of all times!

You already know that I'm am overly excited for you! This is simply one of the best things EVER!

(You may have been an only child, but I claim MD3 as my niece/nephew just 'cause) I love this little booger so much already!

Mickey D. said...

Trophy Life - Thanks so much! I truly appreciate your excitement and kind words :)

Turtle Parade - You are the only aunt this kid will have on my side of the family. And I know you will be a fantastic one! I can't wait for this little peanut to get to know you. He or she will love you as much as I do!

Sassytimes said...

Congratulations! How exciting!

Enjoy your pregnancy...December will come so fast.

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I look forward to reading yours!

Iris Took said...

MDs - I am so excited for you!
MD3 will be incredible!

I am looking forward to hearing about your journey through your fantastic writing.

Congrats again! Hooray!

Dri said...

Congratulations! I am VERY excited for you!!

Being a parent is a joy and I hope you love every minute of pregnancy and relish the time after the baby is born as they start growing up!

If I remember correctly, the first time I met you was when I was 8 months preggo, so maybe we should get together for the second time in.... um, October. :)


Congrats again!

Mickey D. said...

SassyTimes - Welcome to the blog! I appreciate you reading and commenting!

Iris - You're sweet. Thank you for saying so.

Dri - Such kind words. Thank you. And yeah, we should totally meet up again in October. See you at Arnie's! Hopefully I'll look as good and comfortable as you did!

You people are all really nice.