10.10.2006

I heart family.



This past weekend has solidified for me my desire to be a part of/have a big family. Spent the weekend with the BF’s family and had.a.blast. Seriously, there’s always something going on, somebody telling a story, people laughing, kids running around, it was chaotic and fun, and I just loved it. I love walking into a house and having to give 12 hugs before sitting down. It’s comforting and heartwarming.

My family isn’t like that. First of all, we’re not big. I have a small to medium size family (which has served me well over the past 28 years, let’s be clear.) And secondly, we’re not loud by any stretch of the imagination – on either side of my family. (Although, give my aunt and me some wine and we are by far the loudest of everyone.) Thirdly, and this part saddens me, we’re not a huggy family. And I totally want to be one. But that’s a hard thing to incorporate at this stage of the game, people don’t become huggers overnight. I’d probably get some strange looks and “what’s gotten in to her?” statements.

Sigh. So, I’m keeping my fingers crossed that one day I will be a part of a big, loud, funny family. Or if not, I’ll have to create one of my own. And dammit, I will.

*Please note that I mean no disrespect to my family – I love you all and think you’re great. And I would trade away none of you. Just try to be more loud, K!? :)

4 comments:

Tiny said...

Awww! Sounds like M has a wonderful family:)

Also, it's never too late to hug or express your lurve! I don't remember when it exactly happened (maybe like 3 or 4 years ago), but I was really emotional and started telling my grandparents I loved them all the time. (Odd that that never really happened before then...) Anyway, it probably shocked them and caught them off guard at first, but now it's a family staple:)

Hugs, I love you and even a kiss on the mouth from my grandpa. (I'm still getting used to that last one!)

Sarah said...

Coming from a rather huge family...joining another huge family...I LOVE IT. There can be drama, but more than that, there is good. It really helps in times like we are having right now to have a large family to love and hug and support. I wouldn't trade either of my fams for the world.

Malissa said...

Agreed, agreed, agreed. i began dating someone 2 months ago who is one of 7 children. holy cow....is it fun. i simply have a twin brother. it was relatively "quiet" growing up....but i agree with you. once you are part of a big family it's like, "oh - wow - this is what i missed out one?!?!"
good for you. the more the merrier.

Ky • twopretzels.com said...

Big is good.

As far as the hugging goes, have the BF start hugging everyone - that will open up the "hugging door" for you.

C.'s family weren't huggers until me and his cousin's wife started hugging people constantly. Now, it's the norm.

You can turn your family around.

(P.S. I'm so glad you're happy.)