11.06.2006

Here's how it happened...


Mike thought of EVERYTHING! He had a very elaborate scheme planned and I fell for it all. I was completely surprised! We were in Whitewater, Wisconsin for a conference that he went to for work, and I was there for fun and to go somewhere I had never been.

So, a couple of weeks prior he had told me that there was a mingling event with all of the conference attendees and their significant others, and that it was a dressy affair. So, on that Saturday, he had told me to be ready by 4:30 and that he would come back to the hotel to change and we would leave. So I was all ready to go, all dressed up and everything. And then the phone in the hotel room rang, it was the front desk telling me that I had something at the desk and asked me to come pick it up. When I got down there, the woman handed me an envelope that said "please do me the favor of reading this letter in the lobby for reasons that I will explain in the letter". So I sat down and started reading. And immediately started bawling. So I'm sitting in the lobby, all dressed up, crying. In the letter he told me that there was no mingling event, that he had used that as an excuse for us to get dressed up because he was taking me to one of the nicest restaurants in Milwaukee. (The 21st best restaurant in the country.) The letter said that I should finish reading and if he hadn't met me in the lobby by the time I was done, to head back up to the room and he would meet me there. I waited for about 10 minutes (and read the letter once more) and headed back up to the room. Little did I know, he was in the hotel and had watched me leave to go down to the front desk. Once I was gone, he had gone into the room and set up candles and had champagne and champagne glasses with our names engraved on them. And that's what I saw when I walked back into the room. I cried even harder when I saw him standing there! And then he proposed. It was amazing!

He put so much thought into all of it. I'm a very lucky girl! (Also, the week prior, he had given me a gift certificate to get a manicure, so that my nails would look nice when I showed people the ring, although I didn't know that at the time. See, he thought of EVERYTHING!)

It could not have been more perfect! I'm crying just writing this.

Wow.

13 comments:

Malissa said...

so.freaking.sweet. i LOVE a good engagement story, and THIS is a good one. so Pretty-Woman-esque.
congrats to the BOTH of you.

Malissa said...

wait - i didn't mean that you were a cheap hooker - turned rich girl! but you know what i mean.

Sarah said...

YAY!

(don't worry Malissa, I was thinking the same thing when I first heard the story...)

Mickey D. said...

Hahahaha!!!! That was awesome!!

We don't even really know each other and you're calling me a cheap hooker!! Too funny.

No, I understand what you're saying. And thank you for saying that this is a good story, I appreciate that.

:)

Tiny said...

Standing O to M. Sounds so thoughtful and romantic.

Woohooooo!

Heather said...

So, I am still in awe that I figured out from Sarahs blog and reading your cheese thing that you were engaged...that is some wierd Rossford mind trick. CONGRATULATIONS! You have yourself quite a romantic! I wish you the best, love is wonderful!

Wrestling Kitties said...

YAY!!!!!! Chills and tears!

I couldn't be more happy for the two of you!

Mickey D. said...

FYI - that's my hand with MY RING on it!! Isn't it beautiful!!??

(Please ignore the wrinkles and dryness of my hands, it's wintery season, I need to lotion more often!)

Ky • twopretzels.com said...

GORGEOUS ring.

AMAZING story.

LOVELY couple.

DELIGHTFUL day.

--

Still so happy for you two.

Beandip said...

Congrats 2nd sis!!!

Mickey D. said...

Beaner: you're a dear! Thanks so much!

Kritkrat said...

I'm from Mil-lay-walk-key - now tell me, what is the "best restaurant" in town?

Mickey D. said...

We went to Sanford's. It was delicious! Small little, charming place in Milwaukee.

You should look it up, whoever you are, it was great.