11.27.2006

I'm going to be an Aunt!

Thanksgiving 2006 was so wonderful! The fiance’s family came into town from Indiana and Chicago and spent a few days with us. I’ve mentioned before about how fun they are and how much I enjoy being a part of a bigger family. This was no exception. It was a blast!

But perhaps my favorite part of the whole week was when His 5-year old niece called me “Aunt Michelle”, completely unsolicited. She was simply asking me a question, and it came out of her mouth so naturally, as if she had been calling me that for years. It was precious! And it brought tears to my eyes. Right there at breakfast. Being an only child I have had zero chances to be an aunt thus far in my life, and now I’m going to be one, 5 times over! I want to the best “Auntie M” ever! (That’s what they are going to call me… how cute is that!?)

I cannot thank His family enough for being so welcoming and making me feel like a part of the family so quickly. Nine months is not a lot of time, and there is a lot of distance between us and his entire family, so we don’t get to see them that often, but in that time they have managed to make me feel like I am one of them. And that means more to me than they will ever know. They were all especially kind to my parents, whom they just met for the first time this weekend, and to my best friend. What more can I ask? (Even as I am writing this, I am sitting here with His dog on my lap/arm. She’s making it difficult to type, but it’s totally worth it. She loves me too!) I truly am blessed and thankful.

5 comments:

KT said...

I'm so glad you decided to make another post before dismantling your blog. What an exciting time for you and Mike! It was so nice to finally meet him the other night!!

Sarah said...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a wonderful thing!

Wrestling Kitties said...

How exciting! I know you will be a GREAT Aunt! What a wonderful and fun time in your life :) I am so happy for you!

Ky • twopretzels.com said...

YAY!.

Being an Aunt really is the coolest. There's just something special about that connection you have with those little ones. And chances are, that little 5-year-old will be hard-pressed in the future to ever remember a time that you weren't there. You will forever be "Aunt M." (that's adorable, by the way.)

**Sigh**

Now that is nice.

Writer's note: So glad you're blogging again. Or at least, blogged THIS again. Also, "his dog" is now your dog. I believe she proposed to you, as well.

Heather said...

I suddenly became the aunt of six when Ry and I became serious, the first time I was called Aunt H I didnt know what to do. It is very nice and a warm feeling. The only thing I dont like is that I wasnt there for the births of my nieces and nephews. I feel like I missed a huge portion of their lives and it makes me a little sad. Have fun! Wait until you change your name, a year later I still dont always answer when people say "Mrs. S"