1.05.2009

Unbalanced.

Over my Christmas break, I was diagnosed with Small Ear Lobe syndrome. A problem that has resulted in tear in my pierced left ear. It's a woe that I've lived with for the last 10 years or so. It's prevented me from wearing any earrings heavier than a small post and I've worn the same ones every day for the last 10 years. I even wore the few cute clip-ons they make for ladies under 60. Trust me, I've searched far and wide, they are hard to come by. (The best place to find some - Francesca's.) I even tried the stickers that Turtle Parade got for me, they worked pretty well, but I can't wear them forever. So I decided to have surgery to fix the problem.

Did I need the surgery? Probably not. Am I tired of wearing the same earrings every day for 10 years? Hell yes! Do I think people are tired of seeing me wear the same earrings every day for 10 years? I'm sure of it. Do I really think people care what earrings I wear? Duh, of course they do.

Ultimately, what it comes down to, I am bored. And insurance covered it.

So the day after Christmas, I went under the knife. The procedure took all of 30 minutes. They gave me the option of being put under or getting a local. Being such a tough cookie, I went with the local. (Please. I knew why I was there, I wasn't receiving anything serious. The 3 needle pricks in my ear were my punishment for having this self-fulfilling surgery.) They sliced all the way through the hole in my ear and then sewed it back up with 3 stitches. After a few months, I'll have to get it repierced, this time only higher up on my small lobe. And a few months after that, I can wear cute and fun earrings like all of you with healthy, well-pierced ears.

In the meantime, however, I will be wearing one earring. It doesn't feel right not to wear any. So I wear one in my right ear. My hair covers up my left ear pretty well, so you really can't tell, but I do feel slightly off balance. It's totally worth it.

10 comments:

Ky • twopretzels.com said...

First off - I'm so happy that you're healthy and fine and that your ear lobe is healing.

Secondly - I'm GLAD to see you back online. I missed you.

Thirdly - I'm excited for the whole new world of earrings that will be coming your way. That's awesome.

www.thecrazydaisies.wordpress.com said...

I can imagine how maddening it is when you can't wear all those awesomely huge and heavy stylish earrings. I would've had surgery too if it was me.

You better post some pictures of your cool earrings once you get your ears pierced again!

(I think we have a Francesca's by us.... I've never been in the store.... guess I'll go one of these days!)

Iris Took said...

Good for you!! I have a friend who did this too and she was so happy she did it.

Congrats! Now everyone can get you flashy earrings for Christmas and birthdays or for no reason at all. MD - hint, hint!

Malissa said...

i'm glad that your lobe is back on track... but hopefully on a trendier, under-60 kind of way!

MD said...

I was actually going to get her earrings for Christmas in honor of the surgery, but I decided against it. Making her have a nice present that she can only look at for 3+ months seemed cruel. Instead she got shinies of a different variety.

What my lovely forgets to mention is that the doctor recommended/proposed getting collagen put in her tiny earlobes. He even pulled in another doc to consult. In the end, the doctors decided it would be a silly procedure.

Ky • twopretzels.com said...

(What "shines" of a different variety?)

Sad Panda said...

I didn't even know this procedure could be done. This is amazing to me! I'm glad that you did it and will now have piles and piles of great ear-wear you can choose from daily.

Wrestling Kitties said...

Oh, how great that you will soon be able to wear such an array of earrings!!

I hope your ear is doing well ;)

Lori said...

Yes, what "shinies" of a different variety???

Lori said...

Also, it's extra funny that your comments link says "I'm all ears."