7.09.2009

Ciao, bellas!

Our trip to Italy has been booked, the plane tickets have been purchased, and I've been working on my Italian, as the title of this post clearly indicates!

I still can't believe we're going. And that we're going so soon! Normally people plan these trips months, even years, in advance. Not my family, we leave next month! I won't say exactly when, because you know the Internets, there are probably people stalking our compound as I type. You can't trust people you follow on Twitter these days :) It's just a joke, I fully trust all 27 of my followers, you seem like good people.

The part I'm most looking forward to is our time in Venice. Riding a gondola in Venice was on my list of things to do before I pass. And that sounds a lot more appealing and practical than jumping out of an airplane, which is also on my list. I just hope the two won't go hand in hand.

But I think the coolest part of this whole trip is that, for the first time in their lives, both of my parents have to get a passport. This will be the first trip out of the country for both of them. Something about that brings a tear to my eye. And makes me smile.
...

Here's our itinerary, it's an 8-day trip that is chock full of fun:

Day 1 – See the glories of Ancient Rome. Welcome to Rome, where your family begins this most excellent of Tauck Italy tours; a drive through the heart of the city reveals relics of Imperial Rome, once capital of the ancient world. Walk through one of the Colosseum's 80 entrances to step back in time on a guided tour of what might be the world's most famous arena, and pose for pictures with Roman Centurions (count on it.) ; and explore the temples and basilicas of the Roman Forum, nerve center of the ancient empire. Join us for a welcome dinner tonight at your hotel.

Day 2 – Rome at leisure and a private after-hours Vatican tour. Most of the day is yours to explore more of Rome's iconic sights on your own, from the Spanish Steps to the Trevi Fountain; be sure to make a wish there to ensure your return to the "Eternal City." Later, Tauck's family journey through Italy tours one of the world's most famous houses of worship, magnificent St. Peter’s Basilica. This evening, join us for a Tauck Exclusive – a privately guided after-hours tour of the Vatican Museums (no way!), full of fascinating history and artistic masterpieces. View Michelangelo’s famous ceiling in the Sistine Chapel (sounds incredible!) – which the artist originally resisted doing because he considered himself a sculptor, not a painter – without the usual crowds (my dad will LOVE this part)!

Day 3 – Through Orvieto's tunnels and Tuscany's hills to Florence. Discoveries abound on this most delightful of Italy tours today as your family sets off through rural Umbria and Tuscany. The first stop on your travels is walled Orvieto, perched on a volcanic plateau; a guided tour takes you under its cobblestone streets to explore the town's honeycombed medieval tunnels, and caves dating back to the time of the ancient Etruscans. Then it's on to Florence, birthplace of the Renaissance, where you'll check out Michelangelo's famed statue of David (I'll take pics for you ladies out there) and other great works at the Galleria dell'Accademia, the oldest art school in the world.

Day 4 – The Leaning Tower and pizza-making in Pisa. An excursion from Florence takes you to Pisa for a look at this maritime city's great medieval buildings – including a glimpse of the remarkable Leaning Tower and more of Pisa's "field of miracles" – followed by a tasty lunchtime pizza-making demonstration (um, fun!). Return to Florence for an evening as you please.

Day 5 – Florentine treasures at the Uffizi Gallery. More great Renaissance art awaits in Florence today. A local art historian shares insights about the Renaissance and prepares you for a visit to the Uffizi Gallery, the world's oldest art gallery, where you'll see masterpieces galore – including Michelangelo’s painting of The Holy Family and Botticelli's The Birth of Venus (I may have to work on being more "arty" before this day). The rest of the day is free for your family to explore more of Florence as you wish.

Day 6 – Travel to Venice aboard the high-speed Eurostar. A first-class rail journey aboard the high-speed Eurostar takes your family to Venice, a city of islands where the roads are paved with water, and a treasured memory of many Italy tours. Ride a private boat to the city's heart for lunch along the Grand Canal, followed by a walking tour of massive St. Mark’s Square, and a visit to the Doges’ Palace; learn why a small bridge high above a canal is called the Bridge of Sighs. Later, a musician serenades your family as you ride in a gondola (squee!), traveling through the canals as the Venetians have done for centuries!

Day 7 – Experience Venice your wayIf there is any city in Europe that is perfect for just wandering, seeing and experiencing, it is Venice. Follow the small, cobbled streets and alleyways to see where they lead; visit a museum, sample some gelato (I MUST have) (served warmer and creamier than traditional ice cream), or just feed the pigeons (this is doubtful, we didn't go to Italy to feed pigeons. Hello, shopping time!) in Saint Mark’s Square. Tonight, please join us for a farewell reception and dinner, as this most memorable of family Italy tours draws to a spectacular close.

Day 8 – Homeward boundTour ends: Venice. Fly home anytime. If you did throw that coin into Trevi Fountain, legend has it that you will return to L’Italia Bella again someday!
....

I'd love to hear from anyone who has been. I love travel tips and suggestions.

Arrivederci!
(Damn, I'm gettin' good.)

8 comments:

Sarah said...

Sono molto geloso!

(or - I am very jealous!)

How 'bout that? um, yes, okay, I did use an online translater thingy. Whatev.

Traci said...

that sounds like an amazing trip!!!

Sassytimes said...

I'm so excited for you!!! My husband and I spent 8 days in Italy a few years ago. It was amazing!!!

Florence was my all time favorite city. It's very romantic, very beautiful. Great restaurants, shopping and food. I don't think you have to be "artsy" to enjoy the art in Italy. It's truly amazing. I loved all of the museums....and the jewelry. ;)

Venice is awesome!!! You'll love the gondola ride. Befriend your gondolier. They can teach you a lot about the area and things to do....also little tricks in speaking. ;) We learned all about the history of Venice from ours...it was surreal how he explained how much it's changed (more under water now) over the years. Just wander around too...it's amazing how narrow the roads are. You feel like you are walking through alleyways, but they are the actual roads. ...and you have to get gelato...every day. ;) It's to die for! We may or may not have eaten gelato 3 times a day. The shopping and nightlife is amazing in Venice too.

The people are very friendly. We studied Italian before we went, but (like English), they kind of have their own way of speaking. The locals were very kind to help us learn the language better. Feel free to ask them for help if you need it...waitresses, etc.

You will have so much fun! And...when you come back, it will be odd to speak English again. When we got back in the States, someone asked us a question and we both replied "Si". ;)

We had a tiny pocket Italian book that I found at Borders (cheap)...it really helped. It was also entertaining to look up words that you heard others saying to figure out what they were talking about. ;)

Wrestling Kitties said...

um, FUN!!!

How exciting, this sounds like a blast and how wonderful for your parents!

So what time again should I meet you at your house so we can smuggle me in your suitcase?!?! I Can't wait ;)

Mickey D. said...

Oh, excellent, thanks for the info SassyTimes! If you think of anything else, lemme know!

Yeah, my husband and I usually get those little travel books everytime we go somewhere. I'll have to do that soon.

Tiny said...

Oh yay!!! How exciting!!!

Makes me totally want to go back to Venice:) (Best. gelato. I. have. ever. tasted.)

You'll have to take a ton of pics and share with all of your loyal fans.

Did you end up booking through goahead? Another company? (Looks like an awesome itinerary!)

Iris Took said...

I am drooling with jealousy! Have fun! I expect to see pictures.

Unknown said...

So as one may notice on my blog, you have stolen my dream destination!
(so jealous)Congratulations!
Can you bring me back a gondola?