10.28.2009

Chapter 1 - "When a Mommy and Daddy love each other"...

Tonight is our first Childbirth class! It is the first of 5 classes - once a week for the next five weeks. I'm oddly excited about it. I'm interested to see if it's how it's always depicted on tv and the movies, because that's my frame of reference for most things in life. Like, "I wonder if riding in a gondola in Venice is as romantic as they make it look in the movies?" . . . As it turns out, riding in a gondola with your husband could be romantic IF your parents aren't also riding in it with you. The times I've seen it on tv, never has anyone's parents been along for the ride. Oh well, it was a wonderful, once-in-a-lifetime experience nonetheless. And had my parents not been on that gondola, we wouldn't have been either. So it's all a matter of perspective. (Which reminds me, I have yet to post our Italy photos. Oops.)

Anyhoodle, we are supposed to take a pillow and blanket. I'm encouraged by this. Maybe Mike will have to do all the work and they want all the exhausted Moms to find a nice cot and take a nap for two hours? How relaxing! Oh but then they want me (us?) to wear athletic clothing as there is some sort of exercise element to this, so maybe not. Hopefully they mean exercise in the form of walking, because at this point, any sort of bending, stretching, or lifting of any body part is pretty much a no-go.

I'm also interested to see the other parents-to-be. What will they be like? Will they be younger than us? Older than us? Will the ladies tummies be bigger than mine? Smaller than mine? Will we even talk to anyone else in the class? To their faces, I mean. What's the teacher's story? Will she be old? Young? Will she have kids? If not, why should I listen to her? Will they make us watch that horrendous video that we saw in Health class in junior high? (That poor woman didn't even realize that her vagina was going to be exposed to thousands of 12 and 13-year-olds in an attempt to frighten them into staying away from sex. I hoping that they told her that afterward so she could at least have a pleasant experience at the time.) Is the information they're going to give me common sense information that I should already know or will I need to take copious notes? Is this class going to make me feel good about my ability to parent or will I freak out and realize that I have no idea what I've gotten myself in to? Will there be a snack?

All these questions and so many more are swirling around my brain. Can't wait to find out the answers!

6 comments:

Sassytimes said...

I hope your class is more interesting than ours was. I felt like ours was a recap of "What to Expect When You're Expecting". It was very interesting to see others that are due around the same time as you. We are people watchers, so it was VERY entertaining in that light. ;)

Ky • twopretzels.com said...

A. I like that you used the word, "anyhoodle" in this post. I've never heard it and I think it's dear.

B. I hope you have a GREAT time at class.

C. I cannot WAIT to hear your observations.

YOU'RE HAVING A BABY!

Written Permission said...

You just brought back a FRIGHTENING memory that I had blocked out until just now. Our health teacher showed us HER birthing video (vag and all), and led up to it by acting out the pre-birthing process (including her laboring on all fours in the back of her husband's van). Um. Scarred.for.life.

Have fun at your class! :)

Jamie said...

oh please oh please we need a full report! I was always sort of disappointed that we didn't go to any classes and have any crazy stories about it.

Amy said...

YES, you get to lay on the floor while your hubby gives you words of encouragement and practices relaxation massage techniques on you. It's the best!

However, not when you have to squeeze the class into a weekend because your hubby works nights and he gets no sleep on Friday night, only to spend all day Saturday at the class, then falls asleep next to you and starts SNORING!

Yes, we got dirty looks from the instructor. Oops!

Have fun! :)

Iris Took said...

I can't wait to hear the answers too!

I laughed so hard about that woman's vagina being exposed to 123 and 13 year olds (filmstrip!).