2.10.2010

Have they decided whether or not to include a DISLIKE option?

I've spent a decent amount of time looking at Facebook since I've been on maternity leave. It's my way of keeping in touch with people while being couped up in the house - thank you 10 inches of snow and recalled Toyota! And I've come to a conclusion. It's probably not going to be a popular conclusion and there's a good chance that I'm far more angry about it than I should be, but, I do not like it when people have their children's photo as their profile pic*.

DISLIKE!

"Oh, but my kid is so cute and funny! Look at him with food on his face and a funny hat on!" While this may be a true statement, the fact remains THAT AIN'T YOU! It's your kid. He can post that pic on his own page! Why not post a photo of your goofy, drunk uncle dressed in drag at Halloween if you're not going to post a photo of yourself? It's just as funny and equally ambiguous.

Now, I have no problem if you want to post a photo of you with your kid. That's completely acceptable because you are actually in the photo. I'm friends with YOU, so let me see YOU. How else do you expect me to judge how much you've changed over the years?

Trust me, I'll be snooping around your photos plenty to look at the ones of your kids. As well as your vacations and your Holiday celebrations, and I promise to take special note of the ones where your kids are wearing funny hats with food on their faces. I may even leave a comment on how cute I think they are.

But I'm taking the stance that your profile pic should be of you. I may even try to start a "Become a Fan of having your own photo on your profile" page for it.

Please note that I love my kid and I feel that she should be highlighted doing funny things and I fully intend to take photos of her wearing silly things and looking messy, but you will have to be my friend and click on the "Stella" photo album to see them. You gotta do some legwork to see the cuteness! I think this is fair. I don't want to give away the goods for free.

*Also applies to pets. Again, not you.

8 comments:

Sarah W said...

Check it out, I can comment on your blog now that I also have a blog! Awesome.

I agree, and I feel this also applies to CELEBRITIES or, uh, "dopplegangers."

Amy said...

AGREED! (And my husband has a picture of our adorable son posted as his profile pic. I still think it's dumb.)

I also second the "dopplegangers" comment. If it's not YOU, don't post it.

Sassytimes said...

I could not agree MORE!!! It bugs me. It also irritates me when I see someone has a profile pic of their husband AND their kid, yet they are NOT in the photo? Ummm...what?!?! I don't get it.

Iris Took said...

What about a funny picture? I have a picture of an elephant on my blackberry messenger as my profile pic. I just wanted something different.

Facebook pic is me (and Danny - eek that was a big step to include him in the profile pic!).

Now I want to immediately go creep on FB :)

Sarah said...

I with you here!

Ky • twopretzels.com said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA! This makes me laugh. I'm totally with you.

I'm friends with one of my brother's friends on Facebook. (His name is Bill, remember? You met him once?)

He has this in his, "About Me" section:

"Also annoyed by people who use their kids photos for profile pics. I barely remember you, you think I think your kids look like you ?? Yeah! your kids pic is very helpful in helping me remember and identify you!"

It always made me smile. :)

Iris - Blackberry messenger is totally different. I have Lila as mine.

And yes, Sarah - the CELEBRITY one kills me. Um, NO - you do NOT look like Brooke Burke, crazy girl from high school.

Wrestling Kitties said...

HAHA! Awesome.

What about photos of ME as a kid?!?! I think my hair looked fabulous back then and I want to show it off :)

CassyGurl17 said...

lol i completely agree!
like y woudl u have a dp of someone else?? like hello?? how am i gonna know who im adding? i gotta see ur pic first! lol