2.12.2010

Lord of the Rings.

Well slap my knee and call me Picabo! It's Olympics time again! (Cue fantastical Olympic song here!)

I am all too thrilled to be on maternity leave during the Olympics. You can bet your wallet that I will be firmly planted in front of the tv watching as much of the coverage as they want to show me. Curling at 4 a.m.? Yes, please! Synchronized skiing at 2 p.m.? Hell yeah!

I've always been a fan of the Olympics. I love the competition. I love cheering for my country. I love hearing athletes' stories via Bob Costas and his heartwrenching journalism. These athletes have trained their entire lives for these moments. Families pick up their whole lives to move half way across the country and eat peanut butter and jelly for dinner just so these kids can be at the ice rink everyday at four in the morning with the hopes of maybe one day making it to the Olympics. There is so much riding on them to succeed. And sometimes it comes down to two minutes of competition. And one small flub and it's all over. Ugh, so emotional! It's intense and I just love it! (So sad about that Georgian luger. Wow. How tragic.)

I know some people have a preference as to which Games they prefer - the winter or the summer. But for me that'd be like choosing my favorite child. Can't be done. I have love for both equally. (Yeah, I know I only got one kid right now, but someday I may have to choose between more than one and at that time I wouldn't be able to do it.)

Opening ceremonies are tonight and the fun won't stop for the next two weeks. Hooray! Lemme know if you want to come hang out and experience them with me. Bring nachos.

P.S. How awesome does Vancouver look? I could live there.

P.P.S. Let's share. Tell me your favorite winter Olympic sport. Mine would have to be ice skating or downhill skiing. I took an ice skating class in college, so I know how difficult it is to do what they're doing. And believe you me, I was of Olympic caliber. And I just love how fast the downhill skiers go, it's flabbergasting.

P.P.S. I hope no one is upset with me for not talking about the real Lord of the Rings. I'm afraid you've come to the wrong Hobbit house if you're looking for conversation on that.

5 comments:

Wrestling Kitties said...

I LOVE the winter Olympics!!! Unlike you, I can most definitely choose my favorite and they are the winter ones. I think the winter Olympians seem much cooler (sure, pun intended) and like the people I would want to chill with. (done, promise) I love all the snow, I love the skating, I love the snowboarding, I love curling, I love hockey, I love the speed, I love the jumping with ski's on....I LOVE it all! I mean where else can you watch a biathlon where they are skiing AND shooting?! um, no where.

Right now I am sitting in my living room flipping back and forth between the short track skating and hockey (canada 13-0!). It is almost system overload.

I will be over with my nachos to watch the Olympics with you and stella!!

Wrestling Kitties said...

um, i watched the olympics ALL weekend.

Highlights: Um Apolo Ohno & JR Celski's race....I really did not think they would win then the Koreans taking each other out - AWESOME!

The mens Nordic Combined was suh-weeeet. The last half of the lap was crazy, I was so happy to see the US take a medal.


The Mens biathlon was fun to watch. I felt bad for all the people who started in the middle and got caught in the snow. That has to be the craziest race...i love it!

Men & womens moguls - AWESOME. One of my favorite events. The story of the canadian guy who won was so sweet (it is all about the stories)

Seriously, I feel we shouldn't have to work for the two weeks during the winter olympics so we can stay home and watch. Bring on the snowboarding and curling!

Mickey D. said...

Yeah, the speed skating race was crazy, I couldn't believe the Koreans took each other out! And at the last second! How amazing is Celski's story, the way he sliced his leg like that? A couple more inches and he would have bled out and died in 10 seconds - unbelievable.

I was napping during the Nordic combined but I woke up when the announcer was SCREAMING about how the US got a medal, so I saw the last few seconds of it. Pretty cool.

Wow, I don't know about the moguls. I feel pain in my knees just watching them, I don't know how they do it! I bet there abs are for serious! But ugh, yeah, that Canadian who won, he does have a great story. I cried every time they showed him hugging his brother.

Yeah, the stories totally make the Olympics great.

I agree with you, it should be our patriotic duty to watch every second of the Olympics and two weeks off should be mandatory. Our little punkin came at just the right time! :)

Iris Took said...

I must say, I got REALLY excited when I read LORD OF THE RINGS and thought you may be writing about hobbits, so naturally I was slightly disspointed that you were not.
However, I also love the Olympics. The stories of the athletes is what is the most interesting to me - you are right, how incredible it is that it comes down to 2 minutes??

Figure skating is my favorite - hands down,

freckleface said...

I soooo miss the Olympics. I wanna CURL!