8.15.2006

Laughing all the way... Ha Ha Ha!



As I sit here and ponder one day having a family, I vision how I’d like that to go. I often read articles in Us Weekly or People about people who are on Saturday Night Live or other comedic shows/movies (although the comedic quality of SNL is debatable) and I always get a smile on my face when they say, “I grew up in a funny family. We were always laughing.” Well, I’ve decided that I want to have one of those.

I hope my kids grow up thinking that their Mom and Dad are a hoot! And that they get along with their siblings, who are also hilarious, and their friends will come visit and think, ‘Gosh, I wish MY family was this funny.’

Now I know, families, by definition, are funny. Inherently every member has their own quirks, their own special qualities that make them unique, but I’m hoping to foster an environment of hilarity. And I have aspirations for one of my children to grow to be a comedian/comedienne. I will tell them jokes and read them bedtime stories from Dave Barry and let them fall asleep to the Late Show with David Letterman and encourage their talents no matter how far out there they may be.

But the biggest lesson I will teach them will be this: To be truly funny, you also have to be smart. (Take Jon Stewart, Dave Chappelle and Kathy Griffin for example.) So study hard, read the newspaper and know what’s going on in the world. (Oh, and do onto others as you’d have them do onto you… that’s a biggie.)

And they will know that Mom and Dad will be their biggest fans! Laughing along with them all the way!

7 comments:

Tiny said...

Hehehe... I have no doubt that you will foster that exact type of environment. Your children will grow up thinking you're hilarious... Especially if you keep laughing at your own jokes!

Sarah said...

wow. my bestest friend of all times talking about having children. plural. for some reason i am completely amazed by this and excited by it.

a) I am excited that she can see herself in this position one day (as there were times that I wasn't sure she could see herself there)

b) I love that she wants her kids to laugh at her...I very often laugh at my parents (dad especially)

c) I can just picture the late nights watching Dave with her 2yr old kids. I can't wait for those kids to give her a top ten...

d) I am totally laughing that she is already hoping that her children will one day fulfill her dreams of being a stand-up comedian!

I FREAKIN' LOVE YOU!

Mickey D. said...

Aww Sarah, that made me cry! :)

Love you too!!

Ky • twopretzels.com said...

The wait was worth it.

Yup, waiting for you to write a blog entry was worth it. As I read this post, I not only smiled the entire time, but I got the chills as well.

My favorite line was, "I’m hoping to foster an environment of hilarity."

I love it that you're thinking about this (family, children, humor), I love it that humor is important to you, and I love the examples of comedic royalty that you mentioned. You're dead on.

Your kids will be funny. I think it is genetic.

And you're right. To be truly funny - you need to read and keep those eyes and ears open.

Here's to generations of funny children. And, to your future comedian.

Mickey D. said...

(p.s. How cute are those kids in the pic? Yeah, the boy has a mullet, but he's still funny. And the girl is precious with her curly hair. Looking at them made me laugh.)

MD said...

Actually, I think those two kids are pooping. Seriously. The boy, clearly, is constipated like none other. Look at the grimace (no not the purple burger eater). The girl? Clearly his sister, taking great joy in his pain. And mullet.

Wrestling Kitties said...

Oh Michelle, you will have such a very fun and loving household!!! I love the title of your blog, that is AWESOME! You are so creative!

I have to tell you that my parents said I had NO sense of humor growing up and it didn't develop until I was late into highschool. My parents were worried growing up that I would be serious and dull (they of course told me that after I gained a sense of humor!) You know, thinking back I never really laughed growing up because I was stubborn, independent, and took EVERYTHING seriously and not as a joke! But rest assured I am WAY over that phase and LOVE laughter!

So i hope my kids aren't so damn serious growing up like their mom was! hahaha

P.S. good blogs to be writing after a long delay :-)