8.31.2006

My new endeavor.


I've decided that it's that time in my life where I should learn how to cook. Prior to this decision, I considered making a package of Lipton Chicken noodles cooking. That was enough to satisfy me, but I suppose that's not true of most people. As M and I spend more and more time together and have more and more meals together, I think it's time for me to spread my domestic wings into the cooking arena. (I think I've mastered cleaning.) So, I'm gonna try it. We'll see how it goes. I made a rather successful batch of sausage gravy and biscuits last night. (Who's impressed??) It's not difficult to make, but I'm starting off easy until I get the hang of it.

So I'm looking for recipes. Any that anyone would like to suggest, please feel free. I'm open. Just a few guidelines to keep in mind: I don't like onions. I won't go anywhere NEAR mayonnaise. (I gagged just typing that word.) And touching uncooked chicken is a fear of mine. But if you have a great chicken recipe, I'd be willing to wear plastic gloves.

Bring 'em.

5 comments:

Ky • twopretzels.com said...

:-) I would never give you a recipe with the "m" word or onions included.

When things quiet down a bit, I'll definitely ofer some!

:-)

Good luck on your new endeavor!

Wrestling Kitties said...

FUN!!! I personally LOVE to cook! I think it is relaxing and I am sorry ladies, I think there is something so fun about cooking a meal for my man/significant other! Old fashioned YES, that is why I love it!

Michelle, I have two words for you - Rachael Ray! Her cookbooks are easy to follow, delicious and can be made under 30 minutes!!! You are bound to find some meals in there that are a good jumpstart to cooking!!

Oh, congrats on the busicuits & gravy - YAY!!! It doesn't matter how difficult it is to make something, it is just the idea of making a meal for someone you care about and spending that time together, AWESOME!!!

Mickey D. said...

Jenn, do you have a particular favorite recipe of hers? I'm sure there are many, but just pick one.

:)

Wrestling Kitties said...

Ok, this is good! I think you like pesto? It is easy as well!

Tomato, Basil and Cheese Baked Pasta

(for onion people, you can add onion to the recipe)

1 pound small shell pasta
3 large cloves garlic - chopped
1 (28-ounce) can crushed Italian tomatoes, or you can by flavored pasta sauce
1/2 cup, 10 to 12 fresh basil leaves, torn into small pieces
Salt and pepper
1 cup store bought basil pesto sauce (or you could make your own)
1 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, a couple of handfuls
1/2 pound fresh mozzarella

Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt the water. Add small shell pasta and cook the pasta probably about 9 or 10 minutes.
Preheat a deep, big skillet or a medium sauce pot over medium heat.
Add extra-virgin olive oil to the pan. Add the chopped garlic to the oil and cook for just a minute – don’t let burn or get too brown.
Add the tomatoes to the garlic and stir. When the tomatoes come to a bubble, reduce the heat under the sauce to low. Stir in basil pieces to wilt them. Season the sauce with salt and pepper, to your taste.
Preheat your broiler to high.
Drain pasta shells. Add them to a casserole dish. Add pesto sauce, 1 cup of ricotta cheese and a handful of grated Parmigiano, too. Stir carefully and coat the hot pasta with the pesto and cheeses. Pour the hot tomato and basil sauce over the pasta, as much as you like. You can always serve a little extra at the table, to pass around. Shred up some mozzarella cheese with a grater and scatter it over the pasta. Add a final sprinkle of Parmigiano to the mozzarella as well. Place the casserole under the broiler in the middle of oven, 10 to 12 inches from the heat. Let the cheese melt and bubble on top, about 3 to 5 minutes.

Serve with nice crusty bread! ENJOY!!

(I still highly suggest getting a cookbook of rachael's, some really good ideas are in there!)

Tiny said...

Ooooh Jenn... That sounds good!