11.10.2008

Older and wiser and good at telling people what to do.

Although I work in higher education, I've never been directly involved with the lives of students. I'm more in the business of telling students where to go, and less of how I can help them get there. So I was caught off guard the other week when my 18-year-old cousin, who is a freshman in college, asked for my advice as to what I think she should major in. She is currently undecided but, I get the impression, desperately seeking to choose something. I was flattered that she values my opinion of what I think she should choose to do for the rest of her life. It also gave me a strange sense of power. Now, I certainly am not pompous or naive enough to believe that she will choose to do exactly what I say, but it was an honor just being nominated.

Perhaps she asked me because I'm the only member of my Mom's side of the family to graduate from a four-year school? (Although her older sister will be graduating from one next semester. It's taken her a little longer than most, but that's cool, she's finishing, that's all that matters.) Perhaps she asked me because she thinks I have done ok in life? I don't exactly know, but I think she thought twice about asking me when I encouraged her to look into gerontology.

My reasons are this: She has always been great with my grandma. When sometimes, my cousins and I feel uncomfortable around her because she's getting older and more fraille and harder to talk to, this cousin will call her on the phone or sit by her on the couch and chat about how things are going. She's the same way with my great aunt who is around 85. She just has that gift. And I don't think many people do. Plus, she loves History, so she likes old things.

I'm pretty sure it was a less sexy suggestion than she was looking for, but I truly believe she would be good at it. At a family gathering last night, she asked me if I had given any more thought to what I think she should do. I again pushed my agenda and we got out the laptop so I could prove to her that gerontology is more than your general nursing home unpleasantries. She didn't seem any more convinced. We looked at a few other options of which she would probably be good at, but I can just see her doing this. I want her to do it.

She asked for it. And I'm not giving up!

5 comments:

Ky • twopretzels.com said...

So what would her career be besides nursing home administration?

My BFF LOVES old people and went into counseling so that she could eventually be involved with Hospice and palliative care.

Bottom line: there are a BOAT LOAD of baby boomers who will need your cousin. Definitely a career path that should be booming in this here future.

Whatever you do, don't tell her to go into journalism. As IF there are any jobs there...

(P.S. I love that she valued your opinion. Good head on her shoulders, already.)

(Another P.S. - is this your curly-haired cousin?)

Mickey D. said...

TP - I dunno, that's for her to figure out :)

I agree, there's pretty good job security there. Everyone gets old. It definitely takes a certain type to do it too.

Yep, it's one of my curly-haired cousins. The younger of the two.

Wrestling Kitties said...

How fantastic that she came to you for advice with this very important decision! And I personally believe that is very good advice.

I took a couple gerontology classes when I got my recreation degree. We went to nursing homes and senior centers and volunteered and planned activities for them. It was fun. My dad is really pushing me to get my Masters in Gerontology or something along those lines. I haven't decided yet. I mean....me in a nursing home and Terry a mortician - come on!

The thing is though, since seniors are living longer there is going to be a greater need for not only senior centers and nursing homes but also the semi-assisted or non-assisted senior living places. Have you seen some of these places?!?! They have shuffle board, pools, tennis courts, tons of activities....it is like a resort for seniors! awesome.

Good luck to your cousin!

Iris Took said...

Two words: Job Security. Everyone is going to get old. I wish someone would have sat down with me and talked to me about job security and not picking "communication" as a major.

Good job mentor!

Ky • twopretzels.com said...

Iris - lol. I'm in that boat, too. Too funny.