11.04.2008

This is an issue I feel strongly about.

Isn't this refreshing and atypical?

From a PEOPLE magazine (I know, the preeminent source for all political news) article with Carrie Underwood.

"There is someone I do support, but I don't support publicly," the country star tells TV Guide in its Nov. 10 issue.

And she thinks other stars should keep their lips zipped on their political picks: "I lose all respect for celebrities when they back a candidate." Underwood says voters should make up their own minds. "It's saying that the American public isn't smart enough to make their own decisions," she says. "I would never want anybody to vote for anything or anybody just because I told them to."

.....

NEXT ELECTION:
Issue 88. Do you support the efforts of celebrities to push their political views and agendas in any medium they deem necessary (i.e. movies, interviews about movies, interviews about television shows, newspaper ads, newspaper articles, fundraising telethons, Wednesday afternoons) to the lowly general public?

A vote YES will allow celebrities to remind you that you are a poor Nobody with little to no political prowess who is simply voting the way they vote because you like their movies or their fashion sense.

A vote NO will allow you to continue to make up your own mind by doing your own research and figuring out what you believe in and ultimately reminding celebrities that their political affiliation means bupkus in your voting behavior.

What say you?

6 comments:

MD said...

Hell to the No.

It is abuse of the platform they are given. To be clear, that platform is to act/sing/dance for my entertainment purposes only. Not to spew for their largely uninformed drivel about a candidate. It's easy to preach from the cheap seats. Their lives are so grotesquely sheltered by their handlers, managers, and clique's that it's ridiculous. Further, many of these mouthy fools are insulated from any real difference in policies because they are unbelievably wealthy.

Celebrities are just another cog of the sound bite machine that too many people latch on to. What they say, tragically, is taken as gospel by many, and uninformed votes are cast.

Sarah said...

No :)

Did you happen to watch Boston Legal last night?

I was APPALLED. I was shocked. I was amazed that the writers would go that far. CRAZY. I'll probably never watch that show again (even though this is the last season anyway).

and for the record, it was so strongly democratically biased. My opposition to the content had nothing to do with the political party it was backing, it had everything to do with the fact that I agree with this post.

Iris Took said...

No. I really hate it when you go see John Mellencamp and all he talks about is politics. Uh, "PLAY JACK AND DIANE!"

It is important for all Americans to be informed and vote, but some celebrities take it too far.

freckleface said...

NO!
Carrie summed it up perfectly!

Wrestling Kitties said...

hmmmm.

A celebrity who chooses to back someone and attend those political events is fine with me. Even celebrities who go on political based shows like Bill Maher is fine as long as they are knowledgeable about the issues they are supporting. As long as they don't keep talking about it and putting it out there, I am fine with them quietly supporting someone. i.e through shirts, buttons, attending events.

My problem is with the "celebrities" who are obnoxious about who they support. I mean really what does someone like Heidi and/or Spencer really know about politics?!?! Even other "real" celebrities who choose to constantly open their mouths and push their views is annoying and should be stopped.

I do however think that IF a person bases their political decisions b/c P Diddy is then they are just idiots anyways and probably shouldn't be voting. I bet said person would also make their decision based on if you laid two pictures of each candidate on the ground in a zoo and the first one that an animal took a dump on should be chosen. ANYONE who makes their decision strictly because of someone else's decision needs a mind of their own.

Lori said...

I HATE when celebrities discuss politics, and not just because their political views are the polar opposite of mine. As MD said, the Hollywood bubble is such an isolation chamber from the real issues that Americans face, I don't think their opinions hold any clout. And when I seek the entertainment of a musician, actor, etc., I don't want their ignorant politics with it. I'm glad that Hollywood Republicans keep silent. It's rather unfortunate that the most annoying couple in the world, who stage every paparazzi shot and set up their own interviews, felt the need to claim that they're Republicans. Because now the only Hollywood Republicans that anyone can name are Spencer and Heidi. Ugh. But it's far more credible and respectable to own a Prius and preach about global warming. Nevermind the private jet.