9.27.2009

I knew this day would come.

Despite the fact that I am smiling in this photo, my heart was breaking at this moment.

It is quite possibly the last time I will sit in my super cute VW Jetta. (If the guy who might be buying it isn't a total idiot, that is.) I had this car for 8 years, 8 wonderful years. I bought it new in 2002 and it just fit me. I have a lot of pride in the fact that I bought it and paid it off like a responsible adult. And continued to love it even after the newness wore off.

In 8 years I only put 71,104 miles on it. That makes me laugh. Living across the street from work is so ridiculous, I hope I'm appreciating my commute as much as I should.

She was only in one accident and it was a lame one. I was rear ended by some punk kid who had a spiked license plate holder on his truck, so there were 12 holes poked into my bumper in a perfect rectangle. I still shake my head at that one.

I know it's silly to be attached to a car, but I'm a sentimental gal. And I'm not sorry for that. But, it's time to move on and let someone else enjoy her. I will be getting a more family-friendly car, which is cool, I just love new car smell. But I shall miss her and will think of her often.

So, what do we think of Jetta for a middle name for a daughter?... I'm thinking I like it. We'll name her after our dog and my car - Nora Jetta. Then she will move to Hollywood and end up marrying a guy named Sparrow and all will be right with the world.

UPDATE: Dude isn't buying my car. It's official, he's an idiot. But that does mean that my car and I will be reunited!

7 comments:

Sarah said...

OH! I totally forgot about that rear-ending by the spiked guy! We were on 75 right? HAHA!

Mickey D. said...

That's right, I did get rear ended another time and you were with me.

I was on my way to work in the morning when the kid with the spikes hit me.

I think you and I were headed to the mall. And that time the guy hit my bumper and dented it, but it somehow popped itself back out and I didn't have to get it fixed. See, what a good car she is.

Amy said...

Is there a minivan in the future for the MD family?

Mickey D. said...

Oh goodness no, not yet. A Camry is as far as I'm willing to go at this point.

Kristi said...

I love my Camry, I highly recommend it!

Ha - remember the camaro? I was very attached to that car.

Nate says it was a typical "Rossford" car and that I loved going to Southwyck and cruising the speed bumps in it!

Iris Took said...

I always get attached to my cars. I remember needing "a moment alone" with my VW beetle when I got rid of it.

Good for you for keeping it and paying it off!

Wrestling Kitties said...

Oh i love your car, it IS you! I get very sentimental with cars, so many special things and great conversations can happen in your car.

I loved when we went up to KC wedding and the fun we had in the car finding our way around the area and trying to find something to eat! And I also liked when I realized your seats have seat warmers, it was cold but then all of a sudden my bottom felt very very warm :)

With that said, I also think it is fun to think about all the new things that will happen these NEXT 8 years in a new car. So exciting to think about :)