4.23.2008

Bueller? Bueller?

Last night I had the distinct pleasure of being the guest speaker in a college marketing class. I got to tell all the "kids" about what I do. I've never fancied myself as someone who would enjoy teaching, it's never even been a blip on the career radar, but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked it. Before I went, I was terrified. I had visions of the students just staring at me agape, bored to tears. I thought I would burn through my 7-page outline in 10 minutes because I would be so nervous that I would talk really fast. But that wasn't the case - I was there for 2 hours! And I actually knew what I was talking about. 7-page outline be damned! I didn't need it.

Now granted, only 4 kids showed up to the class, but it was a nice jam session between us. I told them things, they told me things and everyone went home a winner.

I don't want to make any career changes just yet, but if I did, I would want to be one of those teachers who encouraged everyone to sit Criss-Cross Applesauce on carpet squares and just rap with me. Very cazh and informal. They'd call me "Teach" and we would joke around and go out for beers after class. We'd discuss the plights of marketing and console each other because others just don't understand us and our desire to market.
........

8 comments:

Wrestling Kitties said...

Oh, how exciting!! YAY for you!

I could totally see you being that cool & fun teacher that everyone loves to go to class to see & actually learns from! The teacher that still has students stopping by 5 or 10 years later just to say hi! You would be awesome!

Glad you had a good time

Sarah said...

You Rock.

Traci said...

i just cracked up when i read "criss cross applesauce"...my 4 year old tells me to sit that way all the time so she can "play" teacher. i guess they say it at daycare....i had never heard it (or at least didn't remember it) until she said it.

:)

Mickey D. said...

Ha! Yes, I believe that is the politically correct way to say "Indian-style" these days.

Malissa said...

so cute. and, hey - you NEVER know about teaching in the future. weirder things have happened!

Lori said...

How fun for you. I sometimes think I would love to be a teacher. You get to inspire kids, you get your summers off, you're home by a decent time, etc. After successfully taking my physics registry exam to do ultrasound, I wanted to teach physics. I still do. I would love to at least tutor in the subject.

(I love your blog, BTW. I had subscribed to you in my reader, but it hadn't updated your posts for the last month! I just thought that you hadn't been blogging. Now I now to check in on you anyway.)

Mickey D. said...

t.w.i.t: Yeah yeah I'm here! Glad you like this thing, I think I'm finally catching my groove.

I totally love reading everyone's blog so I thought I should blog more often because I get MAD when others don't :)

Iris Took said...

LOVED the title of this post. Maybe you can be a frequent guest/rock star.