4.21.2008

Sap in aisle 8.

One job I could never have is writing Mother's Day greeting cards. I was bawling in the aisle just reading them yesterday. Perhaps it's because they say things that I could never say to my Mom, but always wish that I could. And maybe because I know that when she reads it, she'll know exactly how I felt picking it out because we both struggle with not being able to communicate our feelings any other way. No one in my very sensitive, emotional family says how they feel because everyone would bust out crying. So to avoid a scene, and actually dealing with our emotions, we let cards do it for us. I'm somewhat ashamed by this. But I'm really good at picking out cards because of it!

Every year I walk to the checkout line with red eyes, sniffly nose and a twinge of guilt.

If you're looking for a really good cry, read some Mother's Day cards for a Mom-To-Be. Whoa. I got one for my sister-in-law who is due in July and I had to pick another one from the stack because the one I was reading got soaked.
........

5 comments:

Iris Took said...

I liked the title of your post. I am usually the a-hole that is laughing at all the dumb birthday cards.

Tiny said...

Hehehe... Aw... Very sweet.

Hey, I LOVE the new look of your blog! Very cool. How'd you get the masthead to be so large and go across the entire width of your screen?

Wrestling Kitties said...

I am with you on this. Typically when I buy cards I am a multi card buyer. No one in my family gets less than 3 cards for any one event.

I will buy some sappy ones but then have to throw in at least one or two funny ones so that when my mom (or whomever) is reading them we can all cover up our tears with laughing tears!!!

Lori said...

My family is the type that would rather tell a joke than say "I love you." Therefore, we always get each other funny cards. When one of us gets a sappy, sentimental card, we have to read it all melodramatically, basically mocking the person who picked it out. Good Times.

Mickey D. said...

I'm with you t.w.i.t.

I should also note that these cards are not read in the company of others. They are mailed to the person's house, thus avoiding even the potential for an emotional scene.