12.14.2009

If you hate going to the mall at Christmas.



Try Etsy!

For the last two years, Turtle Parade and I have bought each other Christmas gifts via Etsy. We set it up like this: we each search around the Etsy site for things that we like. And we save them to our favorites. Then we tell the other when it's time to go shopping. The other person goes into their account and purchases one (or multiple) of the other's saved favorites.

Of course there is a certain amount of secrecy and trust involved with this. If I were the type that liked to ruin my Christmas, I could easily go into my account and see what has been purchased. But I'm not. I prefer to wait until Christmas Day to open my gifts. Or at least wait until the day that she and I agree to exchange gifts.

It's really quite fun. I like that we are purchasing handmade items. I like that they are unique gifts. I like that I'm not buying her a gift card. I like that I'm not buying her a sweater that she already has 18 of. The best part is is that I know she will like it - she picked it out! But she doesn't know what I've chosen, so there's still an element of surprise involved. It's totally fun.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

:) It is totally fun!

And when in the world have we ever actually made it until Christmas to exchange gifts?!?! HA! NEVER!

But seriously, ETSY is pretty damn great. I too love the homemade-ness (?) of things. I've gotten several gifts for different people on ETSY, and so far no one has been disappointed!

(But really? Who is more likely to have 18 of the same sweater? Me or you?)

Mickey D. said...

Uh, you. Indubitably.

I only have 17.

B. said...

I like the idea, A loves that site.

Sarah said...

I don't believe you. (Just because you can't wear them this week, doesn't mean you don't own them!)

Jamie said...

I also love buying gifts on etsy! so fun!

Iris Took said...

I really like that it supports PEOPLE. Cute stuff.

Wendy said...

Etsy ROCKS. I've spent quite a pretty penny on there this holiday season and I just today placed a custom order with one of my friends who has a shop! I love love love love love Etsy! I also really love this gift idea, but I'd totally cheat and see what was purchased!