11.06.2007

Hello! Because I'm not a poser.

I don't know if a lot of people are like me, but whenever it's time to go home from a vacation, I cry. When I was 13, my extended family and I went on a cruise. The last night we were there, I bawled. I told everyone that I just had a headache, I didn't want to admit that I was crying because I didn't want to go home. My parents knew better. This trip was no different. This was the ultimate vacation, our honeymoon. Who's not gonna cry when they are leaving Hawaii? Some things you just don't grow out of.

Some tear-worthy highlights:
  • Helicopter ride over Mt. Kilhuea.
  • Walking through the rain forests/waterfalls of Hilo.
  • Snorkeling in the best snorkel spot in all of Hawaii, top 20 in the country.
  • Getting within feet of a family of spinner dolphins, including a baby.
  • Going to my first luau and discovering that my new career goal is to be a hula dancer. I was enthralled.
  • Picnic on the coral beach.
  • Eating the BEST steak I've ever had in my life. At Roy's.
  • Eating the BEST pizza I've ever had in my life. (sorry MD) At the Kona Brewing Company.
  • Drinking the BEST pina colada I've ever had in my life. At the Marriott hotel.
  • Almost buying a timeshare.
  • My first real massage. In our room.
  • A sunset cruise with some really nice and funny people.
  • Realizing that Hawaii is more than just palm trees and beaches.
  • Flying first-class. Um, how do you go back to coach after that?
  • The beach. On our last night.

And so many other memories that we will have forever. Together. I know everyone says they wish they could have a wedding every year, but I think I'd like to take a honeymoon every year. Not a vacation, but a honeymoon. To say that I loved it would be the understatement of the year.

MD, you're awesome traveling companion. I love you.

10 comments:

Amber said...

I am so happy that you had so much fun!

I do have to ask, though, no more calligraphy? :-)

Mickey D. said...

Nope, hula-ing all the way. I could have sat there all day and watched them.

Ky • twopretzels.com said...

YAY! How wonderful. Welcome home and enjoy starting this WHOLE new life together.

I'm so glad you had a great time. (And that you didn't buy the time share.)
--
I met someone in the airport once who said his brother and sister-in-law had been married for eight years and they renew their vows (alone) EVERY year on a "honeymoon." Good deal.

Traci said...

so happy you had a great honeymoon!!!

[and, i totally get the whole 'crying at the end of a trip thing'...i do it too. i was almost in tears several times at the end of my last trip. i've always been that way!]

Wrestling Kitties said...

Yay! Welcome back Mrs. D.!!!

I am SO glad you had a wonderful time :-)

Carla said...

Awww, sounds like a fabulous time! It can be depressing having to come back to reality so I totally understand crying at the end of a vacation. As you know, I've done it too.

We're glad to have you back!

Amber said...

Could you be a hula/calligraphy girl?

Sarah said...

I'm totally distracted by the Mrs. D. comment! That's ME! ...and YOU! Weird. (that's what all Ry's students and baseball players that I meet call me)

Anyway - I'm a tad jealous of this trip! And sooooo glad you had such a fantastic time. I can't wait for our 'double anniversary' trip that the four of us will have to take someday! :)

Tiny said...

So glad to hear you had an amazing time M!!! Can't wait to see pictures:)

As a side note, I was driving to work today behind an SUV with a big "MD" bumper sticker... Made me think of you and M:)

KT said...

Can't wait to hear about your trip the next time I see you!