7.17.2008

Note to my new niece, Tess:

I'm so very excited you are here! Please do not get me wrong, I mean no disrespect to those that came before you. You have five D cousins that are fantastic people. I adore them. You will love them. (You've got a boatload more on your mom's side. I've never met them, but I hear they're cool.) And I love that when I married your uncle MD, I got to become an instant aunt. But I wasn't around when they were born. Being an only child, I won't ever get the thrill of hearing my brother or sister tell me they are pregnant or calling me at 12:30 a.m. to tell me they just had a baby. So your birth is as close as it will get and it's very special to me. MD is the youngest of four, and your older aunt and uncle are done having babies, so your mom and dad were my only chance to get this excitement. It's hard to explain, but it's awesome. I even demanded that my friends and co-workers refer to me only as Aunt Michelle the days after you were born. I really did. What can I say, I am proud.

Until I married your uncle, I didn't know what a big family was like. But it didn't take long to figure it out. Big families are amazing. And loud. And this one is pretty great. And your parents are two of my favorite people that I've ever met, and I'd say that even if we weren't related. You are lucky. They are funny and sweet and loving and they know how to have fun. Your dad makes awesome homemade biscuits and your mom is the easiest person in the world to get along with. And they really love each other. Plus, you get to live near Chicago and your mom can navigate those streets and the train system with the best of them. Make her take you there often. And slyly say, "maybe Aunt Michelle would like to go shopping downtown with us? Let's call her to visit." I'll be on the next Megabus.

You and I are the newest members of the D family. So I promise to show you the ropes and I will try not to exert my seniority over you as much as possible. But the minute one of your cousins brushes your hair over mine, I'm gonna have to pull rank and shut you down. Perhaps, you'll be able to do that to your brother or sister or my kids someday, but that is all. I am exactly 30 years and one month older than you, let's not forget that... um, maybe we should forget that... I am exactly 25 years and one month older than you. That's what you will tell people.

You have made your parents very happy already. Your uncle and I cannot wait to meet you and see what a lovely little family the three of you are. I'm sorry, the four of you. I'm sure Lucy can't wait to meet you either. She's heard a lot about you these last nine months, and she wants to know what all the hype is about.

Thank you for allowing me to see what it's like to become an "official" aunt. I've enjoyed it immensely. To steal a phrase from my good friend K, who is an old pro at being an aunt, I am happy you were born.

Love,
Aunt Michelle

7 comments:

Amber said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amber said...

Hi, Tess!

I'm one of your Aunt Michelle's coworkers! She really did make us call her 'Aunt Michelle' after you were born.

It was weird at first, but after reading this letter, I realized that she is going to be an awesome aunt, and therefore I am OK with it ... the title is well-deserved.

In fact, I just asked her to be my aunt, but she only laughed. Maybe she's thinking about it.

Sincerely,
Your Aunt Michelle's Coworker A.

Wrestling Kitties said...

Aunt M. this is seriously the sweetest and funniest thing I have ever read! I mean really.

Tess (and all your nieces and nephews) are pretty darn lucky to have you as their Aunt! I am so happy for you!

Malissa said...

how fun! i got goosebumps several times throughout. very heartfelt and i'm sure you'll have a relationship that is special and only separated by 25 years and one month in age. ; )

Sarah said...

Just so you know, Aunt-Ishelle, if ever, when ever, I have kids, they will refer to you as Aunt-Ishelle, and I will call you, no matter what time of day, to tell you what's going on.

Ky • twopretzels.com said...

(I have tears in my ojos (eyes) right now.)

Aunt Michelle - welcome to the club. It's seriously fantastic.

Traci said...

man...you are a cool aunt. none of my aunts were ever cool.

:)

Tess and the others are very lucky!