7.19.2007

Mi casa, su casa.

Right now I am in the midst of trying to sell my house. Not a fun task. So my new realtor says to me that she knows a guy whose house burnt down. In unfortunate ironies, he is a firefighter. So he and his family need a place to stay while their house is being rebuilt. And she asked me if I would be willing to let them rent my house for a couple months.

After some thinking, I've decided that there are many more pros than cons to doing this. Obviously the chance to help someone who suffered through a sad ordeal is a major pro. This family lost everything in the fire and have nothing. They loved my house because it's close to where their house was and their son will be able to continue playing with his friends as normal. Hearing that made the decision somewhat easier.

The only real con is that it's weird to think of someone I don't know living in my house while I still own it and essentially using all my stuff. With all of the legal mumbo jumbo and insurance policies and such, everything should be just fine. But I can't help but think that something bad will happen and I'm a little scared. Which I hope is normal?

So sometime in the next couple of weeks, I will be a landlord. Ha!

3 comments:

Ky • twopretzels.com said...

What an amazing opportunity to help out our fellow human beings. VERY cool. I tend to think that because you're doing this, good things will be in store for you. (Call it karma, answer to prayer, paying it forward - whatever...) Perhaps your home will sell sooner than later, my friend. Very cool.

Note: I would just be CERTAIN you remove ANYTHING that you have sentimental value tied to. You wouldn't want anything to happen to it.

Iris Took said...

Well said Two/Dos. Agree wholeheartedly.

Wrestling Kitties said...

Exactly what K. said! You are doing such a kind thing!!! :-) I am sure they will be very respectful of your stuff!