7.20.2007

What would you do?

Last night I was at a lovely charity event and met a very smart, nice little girl. We got to chatting and I asked her what grade she was going to be in and she said, "Fourth, I think". I asked why she only thought she was going into the fourth grade, why didn't she know for sure. (After I asked this I felt bad, what if she was repeating the third grade and I just made her feel worse? Oops.) And she said, "Well, I could be going into fifth grade, my parents haven't decided yet."

Thus she could be skipping a grade.

After she walked away, my friend and I went into "well, if that were my kid" mode, even though neither of us are parents, and gave our unsolicited opinions. But just to each other, of course.

My thoughts: I wouldn't do it. Yes, she should be challenged with school work. Yes, she should be all she can be. But at what price? I'm sure she's growing up fast, why make the process faster? What about when the older kids are "developing" and she's still just the 'little' girl? She'd probably have to lash out Catholic-school-girl style to get accepted. I think it's about more than just scholastics when it comes to skipping a grade, especially at that age. And a bigger question is, do parents sometimes do this selfishly so they can boast to their friends?

My verdict: I would leave her in the fourth grade and let her be valedictorian someday.

2 comments:

Ky • twopretzels.com said...

As the youngest kid in my grade, I wouldn't do it either.

There's something to be said for being able to drive when everyone else can, stay out late when everyone else can, etc.

Unless she was horribly bored at school, I'd leave her where she was and perhaps attempt to focus on her social skills.

P.S. Your blog needs a title. It's killing me.

Sarah said...

I'm with you...I'd leave her in 4th grade. Most schools have "gifted" programs that she could be challenged by, or her parents could take her to enrichment programs outside of school.

The social aspect of school is just as critical, in my opinion.