11.20.2010

Music lessons.

Last night Mike and I enjoyed an evening with The Coug. I've pretty much been a fan all my life. It's probably a little weird and probably not very hip. But it's music I remember listening to as a kid and it's always stuck with me. I like his grittiness, his real-life lyrics, his awareness that he has so much and his willingness to give back. I like him. We were definitely some of the youngest people there but it was a fun show.

He had this violinist who had some of the most cut arms I've ever seen. Lemme tell you something, this girl was a-ma-zing. I mean, she got to a point where she didn't even look human with her actions. She looked possessed and chaotic, but damn was it impressive.

It got me thinking. You know how when you're a kid and your parents force you to play an instrument but you think it's lame and then you're 32 and you wish you had stuck with it longer and could be better at it and then you have a kid and you realize that you're going to force them to play an instrument too so that when they're 32 they'll realize why you forced them? Yeah, me too.

I took piano lessons for about six years and I hated them. They were on Saturday mornings and screwed up my sleepover parties and really got in the way of my sacred Saved By The Bell time. Thank goodness for VCRs, ammi right? I was always so resentful of them. I hated practicing and lessons and recitals and having my old lady teacher cut my fingernails with her kitchen scissors because my nails were too long and would click on the keys. That hurt.

But then it would come Christmas time and I would play my repertoire of Christmas songs for my family and it would make them so happy. My grandparents and great aunts and uncles would beg me to play every year. And I was always petrified. That meant I would have to be the center of attention and show them that maybe I didn't practice as often as I should have. But they loved it! They ate it up. My great uncle would always give me money afterward to thank me. I still play those same songs every year. They're elementary level songs but my fingers know exactly what to do and I'm sorta proud that I at least know how to play some piano. My rendition of O Little Town of Bethlehem would bring tears to your eyes. It's my favorite to play.

Sometimes I'll bust out my old recital pieces - those are actually some really cool songs - and pretend like I'm a fifth grader again in my fancy velvet dress and patent leather shoes bowing before and after I've played. And inevitably my Dad will yell from the other room, "Play Harmonica Man for me!" So I do. It's his favorite. I figure it's the least I can do for always whining about having to go to lessons every week.

So, Stella: what do you want me to force you to take up? The piano or the violin? It's your choice, but YOU'RE DOING IT! You're welcome.

3 comments:

Malissa said...

32 yr-old stella will thank you.

i hear you, sister. catching Zach Morris or Jessie Spano was WAY more important to me, too.

Ky • twopretzels.com said...

Piano class on SATURDAY MORNING??? That's terrible.

I was forced to take classes... by myself. My Dad loved Lisa. O. down the street who could play the piano and I was jealous... so, guess who asked if she could take piano places? Yes. Me.

(I adore the violin, too. Would LOVE for Lila or Baby Girl 2011 to play. It's actually on my bucket list to learn.)

Wrestling Kitties said...

I originally opted for dance over music class. When I wanted to change to music in 8th grade I was already in dance (which I was good at) and sports (which I sucked at) and my parents wouldn't let me to take any music classes. booooo

I took guitar in college and LOVED it but because I didn't know how to read music I had to teach myself that on the side and try to learn guitar. NO FUN.

My kids WILL play instruments of their choosing. I still want to pick the guitar back up and re-learn it again. It is so fun!