11.05.2010

Phoning it in.

I called on NaBloPoMo for inspiration today. I like this question, it's not one that people usually ask.

If your house was on fire, what five things would you be glad to see go up in flames?

5. Mike's brown shoes. All I can is, sigh.
4. Our bedroom curtains. They're forest green and nothing else in the room is. Plus there's this odd rosette thing covering up a half moon shaped window. They haven't made anything like it since 1997. But taking it down would mean letting light into the room. I'm like that Edward Cullen dude when it comes to light in the bedroom. Can't have it. Not even a tiny sliver. So I suffer in silence.
3. The clothes in my closet. Save for my jeans and shoes. If my clothes burned I'd take the insurance money and go on a major spree. Some things in there are due for an update. Like the work pants I've had for 10 years. I'm actually considered wearing my maternity pants in their place. They were a lot more modern looking.
2. Our kitchen counters. They are cheap black laminate or painted black cardboard, I'm not sure. They show every single crumb and piece of dust. But on the plus side it's easy to see where I've spilled chicken juice, so it's got that going for it.

And now for the #1 thing that can BURN...

1. Our kitchen floor. I HATE THIS FLOOR. Hate it dead. It's pure white and shows dirt like a mofo. It's impossible to keep clean. And I hate cleaning it because my efforts are usually wasted 45 seconds later when someone accidentally breathes on it. I've implemented a no shoe policy because of this floor, otherwise it would have to be mopped twice a day. I tell people they have a choice: they can either take their shoes off or they can mop my floor. Most people abide by the rules but there are a few violaters that I've had to prosecute. I've considered asking our family members for their shoe size so I can get them their own slippers to wear when they come over. I'm a thoughtful kind of crazy.


(I kinda feel like this post made me sound like a loon. I guess I'm letting my freak flag fly this month.)

Anything in your house that you'd be happy to roast marshmallows to?

6 comments:

Written Permission said...

I love that you'd happily see your husband's shoes burn. :) That made me laugh. This was a fun question.

Mine would also be something of my husband's: His CLOSET full (yes, the entire closet, floor to ceiling) of sports memorabilia. If he loved it enough to display it, fine: I'm not made of stone. A man needs his obsessions. But he's just holding onto it so he can sell it "someday." Really? 'Cause Mama need someplace to put her shoes RIGHT NOW.

MD said...

You are lucky I am in Iowa right now! Boooooooo for YOUR shoes. More later.

MD said...

You are lucky I am in Iowa right now! Boooooooo for YOUR shoes. More later.

freckleface said...

I would just love for the house itself to go up in flames...then I wouldn't have to worry about trying to get rid of the flippin thing.

Wrestling Kitties said...

Awesome. I think I have some similar things. The curtains in our bedroom are UGLY. They are this seafoam green that were there when we moved in. The person who owned the house before made them, and not well. We haven't gotten new ones yet because we just can't find any to comprimise on.

Our kitchen counters and cabinets need to go. The counters are mustard yellow....blech. And the cabinets need fixed.

I would also like my big pile of receipts that need shredded that I do not want to shred to burn. That would save alot of time for me!

The Velveteen said...

I would like to burn my neighbors tv, stereo, and ship her kid off to the gypsy circus...then my house would be perfect. PERFECT AND QUIET.